A Walk in the Past: The Cherryville Historical Museum offers three floors of treasures. | Culture & Leisure

“You can’t separate Lincolnton from Cherryville,” said Greg Payseur, who has been doing genealogy for several decades and is a member of the museum’s board of trustees. “All of these people are connected.”

The museum is an entertaining walk through the past with many permanent exhibits including the Cherryville Fire Department’s first fire truck, textile exhibits, photographs, the history of the Cherryville Police Department, a temple of sports fame, exhibitions of the Schiele Museum, scouts, walk-in models of a public school, a doctor’s office and a beauty salon. The lower level contains toys made by Lloyd Stroup, a farm equipment display, an early 20th century kitchen, Cherryville New Years shooters, and the old prison. A person could get lost for hours looking at this massive collection.

The museum is run by longtime Cherryville residents such as board member Linda Kale Barger who are more than happy to take tours and share their stories of growing up in Cherryville.

Cherryville was originally known as the white pines because of a solitary white pine that grew in the yard of Benaja Black (1827-1917) where the post office was established in 1854. Until ‘a local resident plants cherry blossoms along the railroad tracks, spurring training engineers to refer to the colony as Cherryville.

The museum is free to visit and is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or by appointment. For more information, call (704) 435-8011 or email chvhistorical@att.net. The upper and lower floors of the museum are not accessible to disabled people. There are plans to install an elevator and add additional opening hours.


Source link

Patrick F. Williams